The Bielefeld tram was opened in 1900. From the 1970s, most sections were reconstructed as a "Stadtbahn" (light rail) system on segregated tracks. The reconstruction was completed in 1991 with the opening of the tunnel under the city centre. The section between Rathaus and Hauptbahnhof is used by all four lines. The system length of the Stadtbahn Bielefeld totals approx. 30 kilometres.
The transport subsidiary of the municipal works Bielefeld are bearing the strange name → "moBiel"
since the year 2000.